Planting Alocasia Berries
Back in January, my excellent Alocasia odora bloomed. After a bit of research, I learned that that you can fertilize the flowers by hand – just cut a small hole at the base of the bloom to allow the pollen from the boy parts at the top to drop into the girl parts at the bottom. In the wild, this profoundly sexy act is carried out by bugs. I used a knife.
I left the bloom alone for a few months and it didn’t change much, so I wasn’t sure if it worked. But last weekend, the top suddenly popped off. I checked inside and there they were – a couple dozen red Alocasia berries.
From my research, I learned that the most important thing for Alocasia seeds is to not let them dry out. They’re only viable for a short time, and if they dry out, they’re dead. So I went right to work.
I pulled out the berries and put them into water to soak while I prepared the pots. I decided to try three different media: seed starter mix, Vermiculite, and coir (shredded coconut husk). To get the seeds out of the fruit, all you do is give them a little squeeze and they pop right out. When they’re cleaned, they’re tan and about the size of a pea.
I popped them into the media, covered them to keep the humidity in, and placed them under lights, complete with a heating mat underneath to hopefully inspire germination.
Now, we wait.